Employee Provident Fund (EPF) Registration
What is EPF?
Under Employee Provident Fund scheme, an employee has to contribute a certain amount of their salary towards the scheme and an equal contribution is paid by the employer. The employee gets a lump sum amount including self and employer’s contribution with interest on both, on retirement.
EPF is a scheme controlled by the Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 under which an employee must pay a certain amount of money from their salary. An equal amount is paid by the employer. Upon retirement, the employee gets the total amount (their total contribution + Employer’s contribution) along with interest.
The scheme is regulated under the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). PF registration applies for all establishments that employ 20 or more persons. If an establishment has less than 20 persons, PF registration can also be obtained voluntarily.
How to register for EPF?
- Step 1: Register the organization with EPFO. On the homepage of the Unified portal, there is an option called “ESTABLISHMENT REGISTRATION”.
- Step 2: Read the User Manual: Click on the “ESTABLISHMENT REGISTRATION” and it will take you to the next page where you will get an “INSTRUCTION MANUAL” which must be read and understood.
- Step 3: DSC. The employers who are already registered can login with their credentials i.e. with the Universal Account Number [UAN] and password. This instruction manual will explain the Employer Registration process which is to be followed by registration of DSC [Digital Signature Certificate] of the Employer. Getting DSC registered is a pre-requisite to submitting a fresh application for ERF registration.
- Step 4: Fill the Employer’s Details: Click on REGISTER. This will take you to a new page where all the employer’s details need to be filled in.
- Step 5: Fill the following details correctly –
Name – Exact name must be entered because any variance could lead to rejection when the details are verified.
Employer PAN: PAN details will also be verified. An online application will be permitted.
User Name: Select a username. The system will tell you if the username is available or not.
Hint Question/ Answer: One can select the hint question and hint answer of their own choice. This will help if the user forgets their password. After this, the registration process is complete. User will be required to fill the CAPTCHA Code (Characters are shown in the image) then click on GET PIN button.
Mobile PIN: User will get the Pin number on the registered mobile number.
Activate E-mail link: An e-mail link will be sent to the registered e-mail id. This is to be activated to submit the application for online registration of the establishment.
Documents required for EPF registration:
For Proprietorship firms –
- Applicant’s Name
- PAN Card
- Id proof – Driving license/Passport/Voter Card.
- Address proof for the premises.
- residential address proof
- Telephone number
For Societies/Trusts –
- Certificate of incorporation
- MOA and Bye-Laws
- Pan card number of President & members
- ID Proof
For Partnership Firms –
- Certificate of Registration Firms
- Partnership deed
- Id proof of partners – Driving license/Passport/Voter Card
- List of all partners with
- ID Proof
For LLPs/Companies –
- Incorporation Certificate
- ID proof of Directors
- DSC of Director
- List of all directors with
- ID Proof
For Employees –
- Father’s Name
- Date of joining
- Date of birth
- Mobile number
- Postal address
- Name of nominee
- ID proof (Aadhaar Card/ PAN Card)
- Bank A/c number with IFSC code
- Voluntary application
- employee details
- date of agreement